About Us

keen house text and shop front sketch

The Keen House is a clothing and footwear retailer trading in Cobh since 1956. It is now moving into the third generation of the family. Cormac’s grandfather, Pat Connolly, started in Harbour Row in 1956 selling babywear, ladieswear, menswear and household goods – a typical Irish ‘drapery’ shop of that time. It was a difficult time in Ireland with around 1,000 people ¬†emigrating per week – the future looked even more bleak than now.

Not long after opening, the liner Neptunia went on the rocks at Roches Point and subsequent contracts from the Greek Line for clothing etc. helped get the young business established. As the Neptunia was towed out of the Harbour another Greek Line ship Arkadia was making for port and Pat’s good service to the Neptunia brought further business from the Arkadia. That early marine business took The Keen House down the road of naval uniforms and corporate clothing.

In 1966 the business moved to its current location on West Beach. Business has evolved down the years and now has added footwear to its range of goods. The Keen House has always been known for friendly and cheerful service, a tradition carried on by family and staff alike. Clothing and footwear for all ages and purposes can be had. T-shirts, knitwear and linen goods of interest to visitors are also stocked. There is definitely something for everyone at The Keen House – if not we’ll get it for you.